Fedora Core 3 Test 3 Notes
- Download the 4 ISO images AND the rescue image
fedora-core3-t3-updated.zip - This
contains everything you will need to get Fedora Core 3 Test 3 working
- Place fedora3.zip in a shared folder (so we can get at it later via
- Create a Virtual Machine
- Boot from the first ISO image.
- Press <ENTER> at the boot prompt for graphical install.
- Skip testing media (or test if you want).
- Select next to continue.
- Select "Install Anyway"
- Select language (english)
- Select keyboard (US)
- Select installation type (workstation)
- Select disk partitioning (auto)
- Click <YES> at warning
- Select "Remove all partitions on this system" and check "Review (and
modify) partitions created"
- Click <YES> at warning
- Highlight "VolGroup00" and click delete
- Highlight /dev/hda2 and click delete
- Click new, select mount point /, type ext3, size 15850 fixed, click OK
- Click new, select type swap, size 400 "fill to max allow size", click OK
- click NEXT
- At boot loader screen click next
- Configure network device:
- Configure using DHCP (or assign IP address)
- Activate on boot
- Set hostname (whatever)
- Configure firewall:
- Allow http,ftp,ssh (or whatever)
- SELinux active
- Set default language (English) and any required additional languages
- Select time zone (whatever)
- Set root password
- Select "Customize software packages to be installed"
- Select packages (whatever, but ensure you select "Windows File Server"
because we need samba)
- Click next to start install then click continue
- <Formats file system>
- <Installs packages> (capture other CDs when prompted)
- When install is complete, use the VPC menu to capture the rescue disk
then click reboot
- At the boot prompt press enter for rescue mode
- Choose language (English)
- Choose keyboard (US)
- Choose <YES> to "Do you want to start network...?"
- Select configure using DHCP (or enter IP address)
- Select continue to find install
- Select <OK> to continue
- You are now at a shell prompt. Type:
smbclient //win2ksvr/Share -U david
but replace "win2ksvr" with the name of your host computer, replace "Share"
with the name of your shared folder, and replace "david" with your username
on the host.
- Enter password for host computer if prompted to do so
- Type: get fedora-core3-t3.zip
- Type: quit
- Type: unzip -o fedora-core3-t3.zip /
- Release the rescue ISO from the VPC menu
- Type: exit (twice)
- Select 1st kernel from the grub menu
- <Startup and enter graphical setup program>
- Click next
- Accept license agreement
- Set date and time and enable NTP (if you want)
- Display Setup (you can leave this as is for now)
- Establish user account
- <Additional CDs> - click next
<Finish setup> - click next
- <Continues startup>